- Use weight as a guide to hydration
–I’m ok with 1 lb weight loss after running
- Hydrate with water and/or fluids with some salt in it like coconut water or apple juice.
–And Yes, you can be on a liquid diet while running, you do not need to eat solids while running
- Some people are heavy salt sweaters.
- I’m ok with running on fasted state (empty) but well hydrated for up to 1 hour
- Everyone is different and nutrition is complex, and talking about nutrition is akin to religion or politics. It’s not always one size fits all, and even as our own personal health changes, our diet needs changes. So it’s not one size fits all at all times.
- The world of nutrition research is complicated by people with agendas.
- I choose for my own health, plants and the associated carbohydrates with whole plants: legumes, grains, potatoes, rice, fruits.
- I choose blender over juicer for fiber. We all need lots of fiber.
- B12 is made by anaerobic bacteria. We need B12.
- All plants have protein even rice.
- Just a fun fact: 1 calorie of broccoli has more protein than 1 calorie of steak.
- Yes, athletes need more protein, but they also need for calories. By naturally eating more calories, we will naturally make up for it in protein.
- We were made to eat plants more so than cats. Cats have protein taste receptors on their tongues but they can’t taste carbohydrates.
Nutrition lecture for runners was given 2/11/17 at Doctors Hospital in Manteca, California.