This is a note-taking blog for purposes of education – not for specific directed medical advice.
Metronidazole is a treatment available for Rosacea
- Topical application of Metronidazole (meanning applied to the skin surface)
- Metronidazole also comes as a pill form but this isn’t usually needed or indicated for Rosacea
- Metronidazole is an antibiotic
- Flagyl is the name a brand of metronidazole in pill form
- As an antibiotic, Metronidazole is effective against anaerobic bacteria and protozoa. It is a drug used for treating clostridium difficile infection (c. diff).
- Topically, it comes as cream or gel
- Metrogel is a brand (Metrogel 1%) as is Rozex. And there are generics available for metronidazole gel or cream.
- Many patients use metronidazole topical twice a day
- Many patients of ours at Surgical Artistry, Modesto, report some dryness with the product and use it with a moisturizer.
Other uses of Metronidazole
- Orally it has been used in Crohn’s disease
- And orally, it has been used as part of the treatment for peptic ulcer disease
- a system designed by Obagi Medical for treatment of Rosacea
- Metronidazole topical is part of the kit,
- available as part of the rosaclear kit is a cleanser, toner, and a special tinted sunblock
What is Rosacea?
- Some forms of it seems to be a skin infection which is related to blood vessel dilation and redness
- Central facial redness, burning and stinging
- visible red veins
- bumps or blemishes
- tight or itchy facial skin which may swell
- Cause is unknown
What can our office in Modesto, do for Rosacea?
There are many treatments available for Roscea
- We have Rosaclear available from Obagi
- We have many Rosclear Sunscreen – tinted specially to hide and blend in the redness.
- We have a vascular laser (Dornier 940, Germany) which is good for targeting the red vessels.
- For some patients we can also prescribe clindamycin topical for rosacea